CARIE provides a full range of educational programming for eldercare professionals, the general public, caregivers, older adults and others. You will find a list of some of the programs we provide; please feel free to call and discuss your needs; we can tailor a program to your request.
CARIE provides the following topics for a professional audience:
- CARIE: Your Advocate for Older Adults – Join us to hear about what CARIE, the Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly, is doing for older adults.
- Best Kept Advocacy Secrets – Come hear about lesser known, creative ways to finance or find resources for your clients. Be ready to get energized and think outside of the box!
- Elder Abuse: Detection and Prevention – Learn about elder abuse, what it is, how to identify it, and helpful resources for seniors at risk or in danger.
- Sensitivity to Older Adults – Join this workshop to discuss our own perspectives and biases regarding aging, societal bias and issues of concerns to older people, and how we can be more sensitive and attentive to seniors’ needs in our work.
- Legal Issues and your Older Clients – Learn more about legal tools for planning for incapacity, directing health care and financial management, and guardianship. What do these terms mean and what legal services are available to assist your clients.
For more information on CARIE’s Speakers Bureau, please use the contact form at the bottom of the page.
CARIE offers speakers on a variety of topics to talk with community groups, organizations, schools, religious organizations, essentially any group interested in having a speaker about issues impacting older adults or their caregivers. Retired Medicare beneficiaries are available to speak to your group. Presentation topics include the following:
- Who Pays? You Pay! How to Prevent Health Care Fraud? – Learn about the effect health care fraud has on one’s quality of care and the financial impact it has on the Medicare and Medicaid systems. Practical tips will be given on how to prevent and report suspected health care fraud.
- Keeping Part D Fraud-Free? – This important presentation discusses the new Medicare prescription drug coverage available to consumers beginning in 2006 and gives audiences useful tips on preventing fraud in this new benefit.
- How to Read Your Medicare Summary Notice? – Learn how to read your Medicare Summary Notice. The statement will be discussed thoroughly and one will hear what to look for when examining the statement.
- Hit the Brakes on Wheelchair and Scooter Fraud – Practical tips will be given on how to prevent and report suspected wheelchair and scooter fraud.
For more information on scheduling a free speaker for one of these topics, contact PA-SMP staff at (215) 545-5728 or (800) 356-3606.
CARIE staff are available to speak to your group on the following topics and more:
- CARIE: Your Advocate for Older Adults – Join us to hear about what CARIE, the Center for Advocacy for the Rights and Interests of the Elderly, is doing for older adults, and how you can be a part of it!
- Access to Transportation – CARIE’s Transportation Advocate will explain how to access the Philadelphia Shared Ride Program, how to avoid and resolve problems with SEPTA/CCT as well as other options and resources.
- Long Term Care Options – Learn about the different kinds of long term care including home care, adult day care, personal care homes/assisted living facilities and nursing homes. Also learn about how and when these are paid for by your insurance or community programs.
- Street Smarts and Home Safety for Seniors – Join us to talk about crime prevention tips for older adults, and resources where victims can get help.
- Elder Abuse: How it Affects You and Your Community – Learn about elder abuse, what it is, how to identify it, and helpful resources for seniors at risk or in danger. We hope you will join us so we can, as a community, learn and take action against elder abuse.
- Avoiding Financial Exploitation – An Advocate will talk to you about common types of scams and fraud and how to protect yourself as well as how to resolve problems if you have been a victim of financial exploitation.
- Residents Rights and Responsibilities – An ombudsman will come and speak to residents of Nursing Homes and Personal Care Boarding Homes regarding their rights and responsibilities.
- Advance Health Care Planning – Learn about the new PA advance health care decisions law, advance directives, health care power of attorney, and guardianship.
- Caring for the Caregiver – Learn about resources and self-care awareness for family and informal caregivers
For more information on CARIE’s Speakers Bureau, please use our contact form.