CARIE hosted a webinar, Private Equity Investors as Nursing Home Owners: Impact on Quality of Resident Care and Lack of Accountability, on February 3, 2022. The goal is to help inform policymakers, regulators, and advocates in Pennsylvania about the complex business practices private equity investors use to profit from nursing home ownership and the hidden ways they divert funds for resident care for their personal gain. Please view the webinar recording and slides to learn more about this complex issue.
David Hoffman, JD, David Hoffman & Associates, PC, Practice Professor of Law, Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law, served as moderator. Panelists included the following subject matter experts:
- Ernest Tosh, JD, Leader, Tosh Law Firm
- Atul Gupta, PhD, Assistant Professor, Health Care Management, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Suggested background materials:
- Atul (and others) National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) working paper – Does Private Equity Investment in Healthcare Benefit Patients? Evidence from Nursing Homes
- The Consumer Voice – How Private Equity Firms and Other Nursing Home Owners Harm Residents
- Vice News – How Nursing Homes Hide Profits While Residents Suffer
- Private Equity Stakeholder Project – Pulling Back the Veil on Today’s Private Equity Ownership of Nursing Homes
Please contact Kathy Cubit at [email protected] for more information.